so this is what i’ve been up to for the last 4 months! worked with an amazing team to make this game, super proud of how it turned out
goodness me it has been a while.
and, i’m afraid to say, it will probably be a while before i post more.
you know how i said i would put up my planning documents and such? i realised how boring they were so i didn’t. all we’ve been doing is planning and i literally have not had time do do any modeling (boo) it’s now 5am and i need to be up at 8 and i’ve just been up doing work and i finally produced something that i want to share with the blog.
for our character module we have to model ourselves, and at the beginning of every module, before we even look at 3ds max, we have to produce concept art, so here’s a me that i painted. its my first real attempt at painting myself so it’s not great but i don’t care it’s something.
also, ears are hard
so you may (probably not) have noticed i haven’t posted anything for a few days. i’ve actually been busy for once, i’ve had people staying over, and i went down to london for eurogamer, and i started university again today.
so since models take a good half a day at least to complete, i haven’t really been able to produce any, nor will i be able to any time soon now that i have university work to produce as well.
since i do this kind of thing as part of my university course however, i thought i would just start to post the university work that i’ve produced in that day. we need to produce a written report at the end of each project, so blogging and keeping track of what i’ve actually done will no doubt help me immensely with that.
hopefully it will also make me actually do some work. the project so far has been fantastic with motivating me to do work, because it keeps the pressure on to do something every day, and sometimes more. so my theory is that it will help me to steadily produce work for my course, so i won’t put it off, and therefore produce something that is much higher quality.
the work won’t be all modeling anymore however, there’s planning documents and concept art to be produced as well, so get ready for some variation in what i post. i hope you enjoy it!
Your modeling and texturing are both awesome and beautiful, what kind of modeling experience did you have prior to starting this blog?
the only formal education i’ve had in it is first year of university. before that i had vaguely messed around in 3ds max and other modeling software, but never really done anything of merit. i would have loved to do 3d work at school and college, but none of the courses offered it. even in university, i only modeled as part of 1 out of 5 modules, though that should be different this year.
part two of catching up today looks something like a rubik’s cube. do you like how i’m going with clearly very simple shapes to do these things? so i mean, it’s basically just a cube, unwrapped, turbosmoothed a bit, and copied 27 times to make a 3x3x3 cubed grid of them. i then just added one colour to each side on the UV map, and presto theres your rubik’s cube.
when i googled reference for these, one of the top suggestions when i searched for ‘rubik’s cube’ was ‘rubik’s cube 3d’, so i guess it’s like a really common thing for 3d modellers to do? i guess it makes sense, an easy one to start out with, though i must say i’ve never heard of it being a popular thing before.
so yeah, i basically made a black and white version of the texture, and used that as a displacement map so that the coloured stickers would look a bit raised. i kept the displacement map on during the clay render because a) it doesn’t add any colour or materials, and b) it makes it look a lot more interesting. would you really want to see 27 smoothed edged cubes? no. i really should stop using displacement maps though, they make everything take 10x longer to render.
in an effort to catch up to the whole ‘one a day’ situation, i’ve decided to make a few less complicated models over the next couple of days so that i can produce a good few of them.
this is the first one in that installment, a pipe. could be used as a weapon, could also be used as a plumbing implement, i suppose. though the blood stains might suggest the former is more likely.
obviously, with this just bieng a cylinder, it wasn’t particularly difficult to model, nor texture for that matter. i actually finished this in only about an hour, in terms of modeling, unwrapping, and texturing, but it took me a while longer to render it out and get something i was happy with, and then get a realtime gpu render (above) from marmoset toolbag.